Sunday, February 24, 2013

Week 7: We're All in This Together!


THANK YOU.
Your encouraging words and supportive actions have uplifted me this weekYou make it rewarding to combat my tendency to think I have to overcome my problems by myself-- I accomplish more and become better when I lean on the strength of my friends and family and of the Lord.  Teamwork works! I gained my own testimony this week of this principle from Elder Neil L. Andersen: "When you are faced with a test of faith, stay within the safety and security of the household of God. There is always a place for you here. No trial is so large we can’t overcome it together."

 
I am feeling motivated again, relying on the power of healthy habits, and seeing satisfying day-by-day results.  I pray a lot.  I've found it especially helpful to tell Heavenly Father my goals each morning; if I commit to Him to keep them, I am much more likely to do so than if I just commit to myself.  

He always provides a way.

Here's a seemingly silly example, but an example I call a tender mercy of the Lord: We had a super fun "Second Chance Valentine's Day" activity for Relief Society this week.  I wanted to go and socialize, but I knew that there would be lots of sweets there.  I prayed and told Heavenly Father that I would not eat any treats, and I asked Him to help me stick to that.  I knocked on the door, sat in the first available seat, and-- what do you know-- there's this perfect little half-wall right next to me that covers my view of the kitchen table.  Like, seriously.  I don't even know what treats are over there, so I'm not tempted to have any.  Out of sight out of mind.  And then they drew door prizes-- a large percentage of which were Valentine candies.  Instead, I won Valentine "cuff bands" and pretty classy ones, at that! ;)  Such small things, but "the Lord is in the detail of our lives."  He cared enough about helping me reach my goals that He found a seat for me behind a wall and gave me "cuff bands" instead of candy.  Now that is a God who knows me, a God who cares.  

These words seem especially appropriate today: "I testify that God’s grace is sufficient. Jesus’ grace is sufficient. It is enough. It is all we need. Oh, young people, don’t quit. Keep trying. Don’t look for escapes and excuses. Look for the Lord and His perfect strength. Don’t search for someone to blame. Search for someone to help you. Seek Christ, and, as you do, I promise you will feel the enabling power we call His amazing grace. ... Parents are pulling for you, leaders are pulling for you, and prophets are pulling for you. And Jesus is pulling with you." Brad Wilcox

 

No comments:

Post a Comment